Safety protocols absolutely must be in place before operating heavy machinery--no exceptions! Aside from adopting OSHA safety practices and appointing a safety guide, you also need to service your equipment. To ensure good operating condition, do not start any machinery until you go through this excavator safety checklist.
Pre-Operation Excavator Safety Checklist
- Inspect the construction site to be sure you have enough navigating space for the excavator. The required space will vary depending on whether you're using a zero swing or conventional swing excavator.
- Verify that the safety clip and locking pins are in place before starting the excavator.
- Test the boom arm as well as the breaker and hoe pack. Look for excessive upward or downward movement in the arm. You should also listen for unusual squeaky noises.
- Check the undercarriage for wear and tear in the rollers, track links, idler wheels, and sprockets.
- Pop open the engine bay and inspect the oil dipstick. Do this every four hours of operation.
We perform thorough safety checks on all excavators before renting them out. Nevertheless, renters still need to perform their own safety checks.
Safety Checklist During Operation
- Do not raise the boom arm too high when transporting debris. This obscure the operator's vision.
- Excavators are not meant to carry passengers. Never permit crew members other than the operator to ride in the cab.
- If traversing up a slope, travel vertically and avoid diagonal movements.
- When moving down a slope, keep the attachment parallel with the floor
- If creating trenches, keep spoil piles a minimum of two feet from the trench to avoid a cave-in.
Our Excavators Pass all Safety Tests
At Active Excavator Rentals, our excavators undergo rigorous safety inspections. Learn about us and rent from us before starting a project. The above excavator safety checklist ensures crew welfare and also minimizes preventable mishaps.
Monroe Excavators for Rent
Serving Monroe, Anacortes, Arlington, Bellingham, Bothell, Burlington, Mt. Vernon, Stanwood, Sedro-Woolley, Marysville, Granite Falls, Everett, Mukilteo, Edmonds, Snohomish, Lynnwood, Woodinville, Mountlake Terrace, Mill Creek, Shoreline, Seattle, Redmond, Woodinville, Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, Des Moines, Fife, Tacoma, Milton, Puyallup, Bonney Lake, Auburn, Covington, Maple Valley, Burien, Tukwila, Olympia, Lakewood, Lacey, Kenmore