With a New Year comes new startups. Many new contractors are taking on their first major projects. Newcomers in the industry may not be completely familiar with some of the machinery they'll be using. Consider this an "Excavators 101" post for newbie contractors and sub-contractors.
Excavators are composed of these following components: House, bucket, stick, and boom.
- House--this is the part that contains the engine, oil, and fuel.
- Bucket--the attachment consisting of an enlarged scoop for digging and removing debris. The bucket may be switched out with the breaker and hoe pack for breaking apart rock and concrete.
- Stick--the elongated component that lifts the bucket.
- Boom--the "neck" that connects the stick to the main excavator body
- Crawler excavators--These are the main excavators on the market and for rent. They have high horsepower and are mainly intended for mining operations.
- Dragline excavators--These come with a lifting crane component. Contractors use them for road, port, and pond construction. Alternatively, draglines also include built-on-site excavators for mining sand and tar.
- Suction Excavator--This is also known as a vacuum excavator and its name explains it all. This excavator utilizes a suction pipe with teeth that rips through earth and sucks up the debris at the same time. Suction excavators are the machine of choice for clearing underground elements.
- Long-Reach Excavator--This excavator has an extra-long stick. This makes it suitable for demolition projects and destroying buildings and other structures.
Are you a first-time contractor? If you secured your first project, then contact Active Excavator Rentals to rent your first excavator. Our experts will match you with the right excavator for the nature of your project. Learn about us today and become acquainted with "Excavators 101".
Serving Monroe, Anacortes, Arlington, Bellingham, Bothell, Burlington, Mt. Vernon, Stanwood, Sedro-Woolley, Marysville, Granite Falls, Everett, Mukilteo, Edmonds, Snohomish, Lynnwood, Woodinville, Mountlake Terrace, Mill Creek, Shoreline, Seattle, Redmond, Woodinville, Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah, Renton, Kent, Des Moines, Fife, Tacoma, Milton, Puyallup, Bonney Lake, Auburn, Covington, Maple Valley, Burien, Tukwila, Olympia, Lakewood, Lacey, Kenmore